What are we doing?
- Designing a book jacket (front cover, spine, back cover) for a
biography / autobiography of your life.
- Can be in Illustrator or Photoshop
- size minimum: 13 inches wide, 8 inches tall
- must include
- title of biography/autobiography (and subtitle if needed) on front cover
- authors name on front cover
- title and author on spine
- quotes of reviews on back
- barcode on back
- Summery/teaser paragraphs on back
- extra credit: publisher logo
- Things to think about:
- font, colors, placement, and details all work together to convey meaning about your life
- active use of positive and negative space in the overall design
- incorporate the Principles and Elements of Design to create a stronger image
- Also consider :
- An attractive cover design visually conveys a book's message and can generate feelings of excitement and anticipation for discovering further adventures or insights. This not only allows the author a greater sense of pride but can generate the all important book sales. An engaging cover will create positive feelings and "BUY" emotion
- Your book only has a few seconds to attract reader, retailer and reviewer attention; make sure it's your book they're choosing.
- Consumers buy with their eyes, so a well designed cover gives your book more value. If you plan on setting a price that is in line with the current market, your book must satisfy that value in order to sell. Your target market will be looking for a well designed book cover.
- How long do you spend over each book in a store? Readers look at the spine, front cover and back cover before promptly making the decision to buy. All this in only minutes!
- A reviewer can appraise a certain number of books at a time and guess what they choose? Books with interesting and well designed covers! These have a much better chance of being actually read by a reviewer.*
* text from here