What are we doing?
- Creating plaques, vessels, or objects that have scenes in relief.
What do we have to turn in/participate in? What will be graded?
1) Collect source material :
Bring in at least 3 images to use as guides for creating your relief piece
Sketch 2 different versions on worksheet
2) Finished object
Use relief techniques to create a scene that varies from 1 to 10 pennies in height.
Plaques should be at least 7x7, and vessels should be of comparable size.
Scenes have to be figurative/representation, they cannot be abstract
Use your craftsmanship skills to make the piece as perfect as possible
3) Participate in class critique and reflection
What should I make sure to do?
- Create a piece that you like and fulfills the assignment
- Slip and Score!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure the score marks are deep
- DO NOT LET YOUR PIECE DRY OUT!!! double wrap your piece each night
- Follow steps of assignment
- No cracks in the clay. Joints and seams should be smooth with no gaps
- Glaze should be applied evenly (usually 2-3 coats)
- Keep individual area and classroom clean
What should I think about?
- Think about what you are trying to say with your object. Is it just pretty, or are you trying to tell the viewer something about your life or the world in general?
- Think about every single part that you are including in the composition. Are you sure you want it to be there? Does it add to the final product or is it a distraction?
What should I do if I need help?
Ask Ms. Epp.