Sgraffito Mold Assignment
What are we doing?
- Making ceramic hump/slump bowls with feet, decorated with sgraffito, based on collages.
What do we have to turn in/participate in? What will be graded?
- Make a collage in the shape of your piece (circle, oval, square, rectangle)
- Collage can be a design/pattern or it can be a scene
2) Finished object
- Use a slab to make a hump or slump mold piece
- Use sgraffito to decorate piece, based on your collage
- Add feet to the piece to raise it at least 1 inch
off the table.
- Feet are based on images in collage
3) Participate in class critique and reflection
What should I make sure to do?
- Create a piece that you like and fulfills the assignment
- Slip and Score!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure the score marks are deep
- Base the sgraffito design on your collage
- Smooth surface first! Do this before you add underglazes and sgraffito
- No cracks in the clay. Joints and seams should be smooth with no gaps
- Glaze should be applied evenly (usually 2-3 coats)
What should I think about?
- Think about what you are trying to say with your object. Is it just pretty, or are you trying to tell the viewer something about your life or the world in general?
- Think about every single part that you are including in the composition. Are you sure you want it to be there? Does it add to the final product or is it a distraction?
What should I do if I need help?
Ask Me :)