Summer Pinch Pots
Catrin Mostyn Jones
What are we doing?
- Making ceramic objects that reflect something about your summer, using the pinching technique (pot or pod) as a base.
What do we have to turn in/participate in?
- At least 4 sketches of different FORMS
- Pick one form and sketch at least 4 different ideas for SURFACE DESIGN
- Finished object Form created, bisqued, underglaze applied, clear glaze applied, glaze fired
- Participate in class critique and reflection
What should I make sure to do?
- Create a design based on something from your summer experiences
- Experiment with form and surface
- Go beyond basic pinch pot/pod form
- No cracks in the clay
- Smooth surface first! Even if you add roughness or a surface pattern later.
- Joints and seams should be smooth with no gaps
- Glaze should be applied evenly (usually 2-3 coats)
What should I think about?
- Do you want to make a literal representation of an idea, or do you want to use symbols, shapes, and forms to depict your subject matter.
- How can you combine pinched forms with sculptural aspects to make something unique and personal.
- Do you want to make a functional object, or a non-functional one.
What should I do if I need help?
Ask Me :)