What are we doing?
- Learning the basics of using a pottery wheel. Each student will have 1 week on the wheel to practice centering and throwing.
What do we have to turn in/participate in?
- You need to be working on the wheel for the whole class period every day during your week
- You need to clean up your wheel and tools 10 minutes before the end of class
- You need to maintain a positive and respectful attitude towards the equipment and the people in the class
- You do NOT need to keep anything that you make. This is just for practice. But you should work on improving your skills from day to day.
- You will be graded on all of the above
What should I make sure to do?
- Bring an apron or smock because working on the wheel is messy
- Wedge at least two lumps of clay everyday before you start on the wheel
- Try making both tall narrow pots and also wide low pots
- Use the techniques that you will learn in class, but also experiment with what the clay will and will not do
- Clean up the tools and wheel so that it is completely clay free
What should I think about?
- Using your whole body, and not just your arms
- Even if you make mistakes, don't be discouraged. With clay you can always start over.
- If anything goes wrong, try to figure out what went wrong and why. Use that knowledge to improve your skills.
What should I do if I need help?
Ask Me :)